Roleplay plot thread

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Roleplay plot thread

Post by Truthful Nomad on Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:19 pm

Okay. I need to cook dinner and then I'll do my posts.
Truthful Nomad
Admin

View user profile http://fandom.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kitcat12 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:20 pm

all right

kitcat12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:37 pm

So I just wanted to talk about the possible internal conflicts that might arise in this group. Because any good story needs both internal and external conflicts.

First of all, I like the conflict between Thorin and Dwalin and the younger ones. I think we should definitely develop that. I think everyone's personalities will clash. First off, from what I gathered from watching the movie (I actually watched the movie yesterday, the first one anyway) that Thorin is a big grump even when he isn't being bothered by the dragon sickness, and Dwalin is a big grump too. They are both very non trusting and secretive about their ways and very traditional. Balin of course is the voice of reason, he likes telling his stories which makes him a good go between with Thorin, Dwalin, and the two younger dwarves.

I think the conflict between the durins will arise because Fili and Kili aren't as traditional and secretive as Thorin and Dwalin. Kili would share their culture, he's interested in elves which I'm sure Thorin does not approve of, and he's interested in Asphodel, who represents everything Thorin is not. In the Shire, there are no secrets so Asphodel doesn't understand the sentiment and in her culture, trust is very important and with holding secrets and culture is a sign of mistrust. So if you don't share stuff it means you don't trust someone enough and that's what upsets Asphodel.

Meanwhile, Fili is kinda in between. He is also a very traditional dwarf, he has an inherent distrust of elves just like Thorin, but he isn't as secretive as Thorin. He'll tell dwarf culture to the right person (Brenna) but no one else. And this will cause conflict between Thorin and his nephews, I think. But I also think that as time goes on, Thorin and Dwalin will be forced to loosen up when they realize they need the rest of the community (including the elves, hehe). For now, they are in a 'we don't need anyone, and we don't trust anyone' phase which is accurate for their personality.

Brenna is kinda a stickler and can be a grouch too. She comes from a female dominated culture, while the humans, and the hobbit, come from male dominated societies, and the dwarves and elves, at least in DnD, are equal gender wise. Drizzt comes from a female dominated society too so maybe he and Brenna will share that as a common bond. But she's the only gnome in the crowd so she'll have to learn to trust others.

I am looking forward to the conflict between Legolas and Thorin. I think maybe Legolas should form a bond with Fili and Kili because they are all princes and Thorin and Thranduil are both poopy heads sometimes. Of course, this bond will take time because Fili doesn't trust Legolas just yet.

Does anyone else have any insights? I recently watched a youtube interview with Richard Armitage, Aidan Turner, and Dean O'Gormon, I'll have to see if I can find it but they summed up their characters pretty well. Fili is afraid of failing Thorin. He's the heir, the older one, he's had a lot of pressure on himself. Kili is the black sheep and Thorin wants to be a father to his nephews but he doesn't always know how. And Balin and Dwalin practically raised the brothers too.
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:51 pm

If you're going by the movie version then yes, Thorin and Dwalin are grumps. The book has Thorin more of a sarcastic as heck kind of guy and Dwalin is a little more chillaxed. Balin is the voice of reason, and slow to anger but when he does, its scaaaary. at least according to canon. Perhaps it would be him and the young brothers that find some sort of compromise.
I figured Brenna wouldn't appreciate Thorin's commands, even if Thorin is a leader and was groomed to be quick thinking, therefore acting on his own upbringing. So I made her snippy at him. But if I'm messing her up then we can do some character trading again.
I get Asphodel's dilemma, but I think if she really wants people to work with her she needs to be willing to work with them. No one here except maybe Drizzit, Gretchen, and Aimee will be will to throw away their entire background to bend to one person who gets to keep their culture. I think Asphodel, or someone can just tell her, the best way to earn each person's respect through their actions behind their words. and that may mean more than just giving Thorin and Dwalin time.
I see very good potential conflict between Legolas and Zaylara. Legolas not approving of Zaylara's prostitue culture or her fine dining choice.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:59 pm

I'm also guessing nobody got my refrence joke? 'woah! hey! don't touch me!' from Brak?... Anyone?
Heh heh. It's okay. just a small joke that used to make me laugh. Alicia likes to use humor to alleviate stress.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:09 pm

The thing about cultures though is that in order for everyone to work together, they have to be able to trust one another, and sharing cultures is a way to do that. Here on this planet, they will develop their own cultures but everyone will bring something to the plate. Dwarves, elves, hobbits, etc. And Asphodel is more upset because of the reaction she got to what she thought was a perfectly innocent celebration. She wanted to have a cultural celebration featuring cuisine from different cultures, things like that, it's not like she was asking to be included in their most sacred chants to Durin or anything, and she isn't learning to speak Dwarven, she just thinks that if she is willing to share things like harvest day feasts, and holidays, stuff like that, then that is something innocent enough for the dwarves to be willing to share.

The culture of this new planet will be a blend of dwarf, hobbit, gnome, human, etc. and in order for that to happen, the dwarves need to be a little more sharing with their culture. Asphodel isn't asking to replace everyone's culture with her own, she's just asking to share.

And the thing is that Fili and Kili will be involved in an intercultural relationship and that requires them to share their inner most selves with their partners. That's also why Asphodel was upset, because she is afraid Kili won't want to share who he is with her and she'll take that to mean he doesn't trust her and wants to shut her out of his life.

And no I like how you are playing Brenna. She is a snippy person, she has a giant chip on her shoulder. She can be hot headed, in a lot of ways, she is a lot like a dwarf.

Yeah the Legolas and Zaylara thing could be interesting, although Zaylara never wanted to be a prostitute, thats just what she was born into. She wants to be a healer, and since she's been on the planet, she hopes her prostitute days are behind her. But she will defend prostitute society since her mother and her friends were all ones, even if that was not the life she wanted, she would defend those who do want that life. Or those who feel they have no choice because they were born upsilons and could not be anything else because changing your caste is very big taboo in her society. That's why she is considered an outcast for becoming a healer.
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:17 pm

of course there will inevitably be one so long as their on this planet, I'm saying that there needs to be a fair blending starting with a grace period which is about to happen with our newest characters. that grace period is when you take the time to find where everyone's lines are and Asphodel just learned where Thorin is going to draw his line until he slowly gets more comfortable. She could have still had a party as Thorin did not say no to parties. Or she can bring up the idea again later and maybe Thorin is just not a party person, when he doesn't have to be. (not sure about that one, also a canon thing.)
But what happens at the end of this invasion? what will everyone think of each other then? (hint hint)
Asphodel can just as easily do the same thing she and Zaylara just did in her healing room, with Thorin when they are not fighting for their lives. That's also one way to go about it.

Or we can just let things play out and however long it takes, it takes that long for everyone to get where she wants everyone to be.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:26 pm

I do think that Asphodel getting upset over Thorin's comment is good. people are so differnt here that teach person is going to get offended or complimented by something different. I had Thorin say that because it might have created the conflict opportunities you might have liked. but if you think it doesn't make a logical sense we can change it or erase it. no biggie.

Or we can go along with all these new conflicts and just see where it leads us, either to people splitting up or forming their new Frankenstein culture.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:28 pm

Well, I'm thinking the ghosts and gargoyles can retreat and give them all a break for now, so we can integrate the new characters. I think Asphodel will only really be willing to talk to Kili and she will explain all her feelings to him. She doesn't feel comfortable around Thorin or Dwalin, they intimidate her and as someone who is trying to get into her new found freedom after Roy, she won't respond to scolding or being given orders well because she will equate it to being under Roy's control.

But yeah maybe Kili can talk with her and talk her into trying her celebration again? It's Midsummer for her, it's an important Hobbit holiday, and she wants to share it by making it something for everyone else to celebrate. If Thorin and Dwalin choose to be grumps, Kili and Fili won't be and they would be willing to share harmless aspects of their cultures, such as cuisine. The other races all probably have some kind of mid summer celebration too.

I agree with you that there needs to be a fair blending of cultures and this celebration was Asphodel's way of doing that.

And yeah I feel like the other girls, Zaylara, Alicia, and Brenna, who all are pretty tough, will probably stick up for Asphodel against Thorin and Dwalin.
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:30 pm

so, no blowing up an old barn?
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:30 pm

Oh no I like Thorin's little hissy fit. I like conflict. I just think it's good for us to kinda talk it all out here so we are all on the same page about it.
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:33 pm

I think we did a lot of talking already. maybe a break for an action scene like the gargoyles and then they can talk again would also give us (the roleplayers) a break from the same thing. With the new people joining in they're about to have a lot more talking going on anyway.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:34 pm

we can drop a few new surprises, hidden talents, bonding over recovery time little scenes too.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:37 pm

Well, we could do the explosion if we can do it quickly but we might need that plan for something else.

Also, I am thinking about the long term future. I don't know what other couples may form but I think Kili and Asphodel, and Fili and Brenna, will want their own house. Here's how I kinda figure the housing situation will go:

1: Thorin, Dwalin, Balin
2: Fili, Kili, Asphodel, Brenna
3: Alicia, Zaylara, Aimee, Gretchen
4: Legolas, Drizzt.

I mean that's just a thought. We'll see how it all plays out. Of course all the common houses, the barns, the work houses, the fields, etc. will be for everyone and during the day, they'll all be working together, it's just in the evening when they go home for the evening that they'll go to their own houses. The houses in the village are super close together so its not like they'll be far away.
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:43 pm

aw.. sad face. alright then we'll save it for later. I was going to use it to have Alicia use her talent all of a sudden. but I'll just think of something else. In the long term future she is going to be able to use the four elements. I was going to use this roleplay to start experimenting with that too later on.

Alicia is a loner when it comes to living though, so if we separate them, maybe throw in an extra house for her.

Okay. so we'll just say they've all made it back to the main home then.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:44 pm

so is this story supposed t be geared around Asphodel?
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:45 pm

Yeah I liked the gargoyles and the action and I agree there was enough talking, but the gargoyles are starting to retreat now so they will have a short break and since they've all made it back to the village, I kinda want to explore all the new characters for a bit. Also, they need a chance to plan for the next attack. The dwarves will want to work on some defenses, maybe a fence or a small moat around the village. They fortified one house but with other houses starting to be occupied and the fact that they will need to be farming in the fields and stuff, will require defending the entire village.

And also, during 'down times' in between attacks and action, there will be chances for internal conflicts. It would be hard to develop internal conflicts when everyone is distracted by being attacked.
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:47 pm

No, definitely not, it won't be geared around Asphodel. I want all the characters to get their chance to shine. I mean Asphodel and Kili are my favorites of the group but everyone's characters should get their chance.
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:50 pm

I had the gargoyles following them. That is until we changed it now.

Internal conflicts can be developed any time and even during hostile situations too. It really isn't too hard actually. and sometimes a 'common enemy' gives them the chance to vent it out, work it out, get mad at each other more ( ex: jealousy or envy if you chose to go that way. or more fear of certain characters... etc. etc.) Wink It just all depends on what we all want, I'm just throwing out ideas to pack away later.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:07 pm

Maybe a good way to go about this is to plan out things as we go. In my old RPG, we usually had a plan, and like a check list for things that could happen and what order they would happen in so we'd know what was happening as we go. Could we do that? Here's what we have on the plate so far:
External:
- The drow community
- the gargoyle attacks
- environmental issues. Its tropical summer, these could include tropical storms, animal attacks, stampedes, that sort of thing.

Internal
- Thorin and Dwalin being sticklers
- Asphodel's impulsiveness
- Thorin and the elves
- Zaylara vs. Legolas
- Alicia's powers and abilities?

So in the immediate situation, we have the following possibilities:
- Kili and Asphodel's long talk
- Dwalin trying to talk to Asphodel. Just a warning though if he scolds her, she won't react well to it and will probably run off again. She won't go to the prairie though, she'll probably hide in one of the barns, it might become her secret spot. And Zaylara, Brenna, and Alicia would probably come to her defense, as they know about her history with Roy and she's very sensitive to being ordered around and scolded.
- Thorin and Legolas
- Drizzt, the renegade
- Alicia's powers
- A conference about defenses
- Haunting? Maybe someone wakes up in the middle of the night and has an encounter?
that's probably all they'd have time for in one day. Perhaps for the next day, we could have
- a minor attack?

Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:11 pm

Ooh and I just had a juicy idea. Maybe this conflict between Thorin, Dwalin, and the others might develop into something more. Because Fili and Kili are still not over what happened in Erebor between Thorin and themselves. What if it turns into something deeper and Thorin ends up driving a wedge in between himself and his nephews? Forcing them to choose between him and their loves. Perhaps that's why they end up living in another house? They'll resolve their differences eventually of course because they both love their uncle, but it will take awhile.
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:14 pm

To be honest, I wasn't really sure if I was going to have Alicia come to Asphodel's defense in this instance.
It's alright, but if we go by this outline, I would like to re arrange the conference about defenses o be second or third possibilities.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:18 pm

I think that idea can wait too. that wedge Thorin drives I mean. I already have him approving of their relationships in an effort for him to try to make amends. A small start, but as good as any. if we do this, I can see the community falling apart and going their separate ways for a while until things are resolved, and Asphodel will have to wait even longer for her important holidays to be shared with everyone other than Kili and whoever is still with her.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:36 pm

I agree I think it will definitely be in the long term. And to be honest, I don't think Thorin should be as approving of their relationship. I mean if dwarves are so secretive about their cultures then they probably aren't okay with other races being involved with them. It kinda doesn't make as much sense for Thorin to be approving when he hates elves and it took him forever to give Bilbo a chance.

And yeah we can rearrange things like you said and if you have any other plots, we can add them. I'm trying to plan issues and conflicts with the characters I play, but I don't want to neglect your characters, I just don't know them as well as you do so I can only plot what I know.

I'm actually thinking Dwalin confronting Asphodel probably shouldn't happen anyway. I mean he can try but I would hope someone would come to her defense because it's not really his place to scold her. That's what Zaylara was trying to explain, no matter what Asphodel did, Thorin and Dwalin are not in charge of her, and it's not their place to reprimand her. But of course, them thinking they are in charge is kind of a good conflict, because I think someone will try to stand up to them. Maybe Asphodel shouldn't be their only target either, maybe they try to order Alicia around, or Brenna too. They are used to being in charge so it makes sense, but someone will stand up to them.

I mean I hate the idea of their community falling apart, but maybe it needs to come apart in order to come back together again and be stronger.
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:46 pm

The reason why I have thorin being okay with their relationships becuase o was thinking, on a darker note, that in his mind, if they ever get back home, things will go back to normal, and Fili andnkilo will have to go back to their cultural ways. Right now he's letting them enjoy a little happiness while it is there. In his mind it's temporary.
Someone can trade thorin with me then too and I'll take a different character if that's not working either.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top