The Beginning

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Beginning

Post by Adeleidhis on Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:59 am

Kili followed his kin, still gazing about at the new land around them. Kili didn't even believe this was some elvish lands either, as things didn't look like Rivendell's valley or the mirkwood realm. He kept his bow handy and switched the meats stache with Fili to free up one of his hands. The more they walked, the more he archer did start to get a little uneasy. Maybe Thorin was right. Perhaps this place is deserted and they were on their own. Just as his thoughts were turning for the worst, He thought he caught some movement up ahead. " Look. I thought I saw someone, or something dart behind the trees up there. Might be trying to hide from us." Kili said to Fili and Thorin.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:10 pm

Thorin glanced toward where Kili was pointing and grabbed his sword, approaching carefully.

"It could just be a jack rabbit, brother," Fili pointed out. But as he said that, he too saw a figure move about behind the trees.

"Come out now," Thorin demanded. "Show yourself!"

What emerged was both surprising and somewhat of a relief. A small dark haired hobbit stood up from the brush, his clothes worn, and a frightened look on his face. "Ah, dwarves?" he stuttered. He started with a look of distaste before quickly composing himself. He wasn't a fan of dwarves. "Ah, the name's Roy Woolmonger."
Truthful Nomad
Admin

View user profile http://fandom.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:32 pm

Kili had his own bow at the ready. " It.. It's another hobbit." He whispered to Fili. " You think he might be a friend to Bilbo's?" Kili lowered his bow a little more. He knew from what Bilbo had said, that hobbits like manners and are quiet peaceful folk. Kili looked a more relaxed demeanor. Maybe there was a second Shire somewhere abouts...
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:03 pm

Thorin looked Roy over. A hobbit in the middle of nowhere? "Do you live close by, hobbit?" he asked.

"Why no," Roy said, putting on his best charming attitude. "I was in the barn with my sheep and then all of a sudden, I was here! by the river no less. Now then, I must find my betrothed, she must be worried sick over my disappearance."

Fili looked the Hobbit over too. He seemed pleasant enough but Fili wondered if he was anything like Bilbo.
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:13 pm

Kili put away the arrow he had notched. They did just catch a ram. Hopefully that wasn't one of this hobbit's herd. WHoops. " You have no idea how you got here at all? No face? Or creature to recall? But, you were in The Shire when it happened... we were half a world away by Ereber..." He looked at everyone. " Who ever is responsible for this truly is just plucking people from their homes." Kili offered a small smile at Roy. "Let us not fret to much. So long as we work together and keep going, surely we will remedy this and your betrothed will not have to worry any longer."
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:15 pm

The archer turned to Thorin. " What do we do with him Uncle? should we leave him or should he come with us?"
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:33 pm

Thorin sighed, "I do not think it is wise to leave a hobbit in the wilds to fend for themselves," he said. He looked at Roy, "you will come with us."

Roy nodded, "I suppose so," he said, trying not to get too close. He had heard that dwarves didn't smell too pleasant and that they lacked much in the way of manners. As he walked he sighed. "We must find her," he explained. "She's a pretty girl, with long curly red hair and striking green eyes, you'd know her if you saw her. She is the fairest in all the shire and I'd rather be able to find her before she catches someone else's eye."

Fili raised a brow at this hobbit. That sounded a little like Roy didn't trust his betrothed, perhaps she was promiscuous?
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:19 am

' Curly red hair and striking green eyes? That does sound lovely.' Kili thought in his head. He was starting to notice that maybe he had a slight attraction to red hair now. This pretty girl was already married though, so Kili dashed the idea of getting to know her. But what did Roy mean by eyes for someone else if she wanted to marry him? Maybe some other hobbit tradition he wasn't aware of.
"Have you seen anyone, or anything else before us?" Kili asked. "We're searching for aid ourselves and have not yet come upon anything more than game. It's lonely and far too quiet out here."
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:08 am

Roy shook his head, "I haven't seen a soul!" he exclaimed. "Whoever did this is in very poor taste!"

Fili smirked. For a moment Roy sounded like their burglar. But there was something off about this Hobbit Fili couldn't quite figure out.

They continued to walk, keeping along the river, and a few hours later, as Thorin moved on ahead, he clammered up a small yet steep hill. Once at the top, he came to a halt. "I see something!" he called behind him.

When Fili got to Thorin's side his eyes grew wide. Down below, across a large field, was what looked like the remains of a village of some kind. Fili counted more than a dozen little homes, barns, out houses, and store houses all scattered about across the plain, all in various states of decay. Plants and vegetation grew all around the buildings, mosses and vines climbed up the cracked and crumbling stone walls. Some were made of stone while others, made of wood, were showing signs of wood rot.
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:28 am

Kili trotted right alongside his kin. He kept glancing over his shoulder too as to not lose track of Roy. " Come Master Wullmooger. Perhaps we might find something useful." Kili said. (Usually mispronouncing the last name) The archer followed right up behind them, eager to se what Thorin had spotted. When they got there though, his eagerness had dissipated. "What's this? What's happened here?" He couldn't help but voice his thoughts. "This place looks as if it had been sacked, but by whom?" Kili gingerly walked up to some remains, peering at them to see if he could tell what sort of people they were. "Men most likely?" but there were some broken trinkets here and there that looked elvish, or even fine craftsmanship of a dwarven blacksmith. His brows knitt together. The place looked far too old to hope for any survivors. So he turned his gaze to the roads. Maybe he could find tracks. All the tracks, if any left were also old that it was hard to tell which way people had went, and any leaving the village was covered by the dust of the road. Kili sighed aloud, scratching at his head. " This isn't good either. But... some of the buildings do not look quite as worse for wear. Perhaps we might make a better shelter with them for the time being." Kili could think of little else to brighten this situation. Birds still flew about as if unbothered by their presence. So at least there were not any enemies that might be around. "Or perhaps just pull some scraps together to make one of our own.."
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:49 am

Fili hurried alongside Kili, peeking inside cracked windows, brushing aside moss and cob webs, to see any signs of life. He opened the door to one of the homes that were in better condition, and the door fell off its hinges. He slowly walked inside. The air was stale and dank. Rodents crawled around the floor. There was a table covered in cobwebs, with flatware still on it, as if the inhabitants had just finished setting the table for supper. A giant cauldron hung in the fire place and a wood burning stove top had a rusty pot on it.

"Look in here!" he called behind him for the others. There was a moldy staircase leading upstairs, it didn't seem very safe to try to go up there at the moment, he doubted the molding wood would support his weight.

Thorin came in behind him, "there are a few other homes just like this," he said. "I think Kili is right, we could stay here. It would be better than keeping on the move. Perhaps the three of us could fix one of these homes up. That is if either of you two paid any attention to your apprenticeships before we left."

Thorin was referring to the apprenticeships he had arranged for Fili and Kili the summer before they departed on their journey. He felt that his nephews were old enough to have jobs and learn a trade, so he had arranged an apprenticeship in stone masonry for Fili and one in carpentry and wood working for Kili. They had barely started when they left for the quest, so he doubted they had learned much, but perhaps this would be a chance for them to recall what they had learned.

Roy came in, "there is a garden outside this house," he said. "Full of weeds! It's a shame someone let it go to waste like that."

"Who lived here..." Fili wondered aloud. "And what could have happened to them?"
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:14 pm

Kili half smiled. "Of course not!" He joked, even though everyone knew he or his brother had that much practice in their trade. He rubbed his hands together. ' let's get started." He turned to Roy. " Maybe you can help spruce up that garden aye?" He offered as he got to the nearest chunk of useless wood and started dragging it aside. "I'll have this place fixed up in a jiffy!" He sang, trying to get the optimism back. He helped with removing the wood, replacing the broken with any good peices first. It was a long drawn out process that took hours, but soon after they will have a proper living space. " Maybe we ought to clean up the inside too or it'll be like sleeping out in the dirt again." He said, not wanting to sleep on the group d again.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:05 pm

Fili worked alongside his brother. He focused on the stonework frame. This house seemed to be made of a combination of wood and brick so it would take both their skills to properly mend it. And it would not be an easy task, it would probably be many days to perhaps a week before they'd be able to go upstairs. But for now, they could repair the common room and they could camp out there. Fili saw that much of the brick needed to be replaced, so he went outside to gather as much stone as he could get his hands on. Often from other houses and buildings, and sat down to try to chisel them into shape. He wished he had his chisel set but other rocks out do. "This house is drafty," he mentioned. "And moldy. We should take care of that as well."

Thorin put his blacksmithing skills to work to try to repair the iron stove top. He worried that all this work they were putting in meant that they might have to live here, for who knows how long.

Roy grumbled a bit as he set about pulling weeds from the overgrown garden.
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:48 pm

"Eeeew. I hate moldy things." Kili turned his nose up to the mold Fili had spotted. " Aye! Let's get rid of all of that nonsense. Look Uncle has put together a nice forge." Kili dragged some decent wood chunks he was able to scavenge over to the holes in the walls to patch up the draft. He waved at Roy when he saw him on the other side. " Oi Master Roy! We're almost done with the house. Then we can try scavenging and hunting to get a decent stock of provisions. You, know anything about healing herbs? We ought to search for some of that too." Kili turned back to the house. One side of it was finished. With him and his brother tag teaming on this, they can get this house done by the end of the day if not sooner, and even have some time to go hunting. This house even had extra rooms in it. So there was plenty of space.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:31 pm

Fili chiseled each brick and replaced the cracked ones with better ones, one by one until the whole bottom half of the house was finished. "Kili, I think you should take apart that staircase," he suggested, "no one should go upstairs until we are certain that they won't fall through the rotted wooden boards. I'd be interested to see what might be waiting for us up there."

Thorin had fixed the iron wood burning stove and made sure the fireplace and chimney was cleaned and safe. He had used the extra iron he found to make a small iron kiln outside that he'd be able to use as a forge. With a proper forge, he'd be able to weld tools, pots, pans, and whatever else they may need from metal.

Roy sighed as he dug around in the dirt. He really didn't like gardening. He'd make Asphodel tend to the garden if she was around. He glanced over at Kili, "I am a shepherd, I need a flock to tend to," he complained. "When we find my betrothed, she will be happy to tend this garden properly. Her father was a spice monger." He did glance around the garden and grabbed some overgrown chamomile, "here, this is what you'll need."

Fili groaned at Roy, "you know it is quite possible your betrothed is not here. You may have to pull your own weight. But if you are looking for animals, maybe look in the fields surrounding this village. Kili caught a ram the other day and it didn't look completely wild. Perhaps the people here were farmers and their animals may not have gone completely feral, we might be able to track and catch them."
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:28 pm

Kili only just snapped to what Roy was hinting at too thanks to his brother Fili pointing it out. Kili cast a look of uncertainty over at the hobbit. Surely he didn't think it was alright for just one person to serve the other unless they were paid to do so like servants. But a betrothed isn't a servant. " dis he marry a lady just do he could have someone to do things for him?"
he looked over at Roy and smiled again. " Well..." Kili picked up a staff that looked only a foot taller than Roy. " here ya go. Go and see if you can here us in some sheep."
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Roy muttered to himself as he took the staff. He was irritated that Asphodel wasn't here, she had better hope he didn't find her. He trodded out to the field to try to round up some feral animals.

"I don't think I like that hobbit," Fili said as he stood next to his brother. "There is something not quite right about him. He's not at all like Master Boggins."
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:01 pm

Kili sighed. " aye. He doesn't seem quite as friendly either. We shall have to keep eyes on him too. I don't want to think he's a bad sort but.. guess we c ant take any chances." The archer said as he helped with the last of the walls. It wasn't pretty but, it would hold. He smiled in pride at thorin work when he saw it too.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:17 pm

Fili shrugged, "well herding those animals should keep him out of our hair for a while. I'd suggest we take a break for a meal if I knew we had anything to eat."

Thorin finished his own handiwork and came out to join his nephews, "good work, nephews. Seems you both learned more than I had thought."
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:24 pm

The corners of his lips tugged upwards to a tired grin. He slumped onto a chair to rest a moment. Sweat dripped from his face a little from the work, but it paid off. The place was already looking much more livable, which raised his spirits a little. " we've got some more ram here. I'll check the well to see if there's any water in it left." Kili said puahinf himself back up. " or maybe the rivee too since now we can boil water."
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:35 pm

Thorin nodded his approval to Kili, "just don't get too comfortable staying here, Kili," he said. "We must try to return to Erebor. Fili, why don't you chop some wood for the fire tonight?"

Fili frowned. "Yes, Uncle," he said, grabbing an axe that was laying on the side of the house. He didn't like the mention of Erebor. He realized then that he actually really enjoyed today. Just him, Kili, and Thorin working on a project together, no other responsibilities to care about. No Arkenstone, no Azog, no war. It was peaceful here, perhaps they should go back to Erebor, but he realized it wasn't something he was looking forward to.
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:10 pm

"Yes uncle."Kili said after he went to the well. The well wasn't empty yet, but it didn't seem like it had enough to last them for much more maybe a couple of months at best. He decided then that he'll bring back some water for his kin and him to enjoy and after drinking their fill he would go to the river and start boiling some more clean water for them to have
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:29 pm

Kili set out, down to the river after telling his uncle where he was going. The Archer grabbed a couple of buckets on the shoulder bar and made his way down to the river humming and old to his mother taught him
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Not much further from Alicia s group, kobgoblins (the tiny scrawny lizard faced goblins from DnD I think) were scratching at the ground for bugs and worms. They stopped and looked up, when they caught the smell of something else. They spotted a female human, two long beards and two other short females they were not familiar with. But, they looked like they might have some good loot on them, definitely good meat. They picked up their primitive weapons and stalked the group.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:00 pm

Alicia walked along with the others. She turned to the right where it looked like things were rushing through the long grass. She pointed towards it. " what's that?"
Brenna stopped, head swiveling to follow the way she was pointing, but she didn't see much.
Dwalin noticed the spears bobbing up and down. "Enemies." He said as he once again armed himself, squaring his body between the incomes and the group. Suddenly the creatures split up, ducking down and surrounding the group. They jumped out in surprise ambush. One jumped up with daggers and mouth of jagged teeth wide open, jumping for Balin.
two came for the gnome and hobbit, but Beenna shot down one with her harpoon. Dwalin snacked one easily to the side, knocking it unconscious. Alicia on the other side swung her staff like a baseball bat to knock one aside.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top