On the shores

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: On the shores

Post by Adeleidhis on Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:24 am

Alicia chortled at Asphodel's expression. " Their like...wolves of the ocean you might say. Some travel in schools, some travel on their own. They're pretty good when you cook them right. It's just like any fish really. Might take more muscle though. Alicia pulled out her hunting knife, looking at it in dismay. "It might take a while, but we've got food, can't complain too much." The girl moved the shark over so she could start cleaning it up. She thought about saving the guts to use for more fish bait. Those were nice teeth though and smiled at the fun thought of making necklaces out of them. "There we ae. we'll just have to do it by strips." Alicia had begun laying out the strips she cut of onto another large branch. "Good thing about this too is that we can also eat it raw and it won't hurt us." She said as she kept the pieces in the sun to dry out a little, nibbling at a small strip. She offered one to Asphodel too. Maybe they ought to think about finding a way to get more clothing on her too...
The human gazed out into the sea. For now things seemed to be going alright, but that could change far too fast. She also knew that eventually they might have to try going inland to see if this place really was as deserted as it might feel. Why were they here and what were they supposed to be doing in order to get back home?
She smile at seeing the hobbit had made the shallow pit and even found some dry wood and dead leaves. Now they just had to think of a good fire starter.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:31 am

Brenna led the way down the coast, glancing at the sea still and grumbling in her mind about the real lack of knowledge of this place she had. She spotted the tracks Dwalin had spoke of, redoubling her efforts to track them down to the source. She stopped suddenly then. Eyes falling on the hut mentioned and a tall human working on a shark. Hm, they caught a shark. At least they aren't helpless. "Hm, they're resourceful, and maybe a little dangerous for that." Brenna said.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:13 am

Asphodel helped Alicia cut up and cook the shark. Asphodel may be way out of her elements as far as building fires and hunting, but cooking was one thing any hobbit would know. After all, you couldn't be a culture of farmers if you didn't also know how to eat what you grew. As she sat down with her human companion, to eat what they prepared together, she sighed. "I wish I had brought my spices and herbs with me," she said. "It would have really helped the meat of this... fish." As she said that she felt a presence and looked over to see the trio approach. She felt nervous and glanced at Alicia.
Truthful Nomad
Admin

View user profile http://fandom.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:46 am

Alicia chuckled at her little friend. "Spices and herbs, along with a few other tools would be helpful right now." Alicia shrugged idly as she popped another strip in her mouth. "Maybe as we explore we might find some herbs about this land. I can make cups from Bamboo stalks, and save the skinnier tops for, making salt and pepper shakers and the like." Alicia grinned at the half joke. It was always good to have some sort of project going for times like these. "Shark is not so bad by itself at least. Sashimi. I want to either climb up or get a long branch and knock down some of these coconuts. they'll be a real advantage for us. The water inside will help keep our energy up. The flesh inside is edible and nutritious. The jelly can even be used like butter or extra flavor on meats. The outer shells would make good bowls, and the fibers we can use for things like basket weaving or short ropes." Alicia planted her fists on her hips, looking up at the tree. Alicia had not noticed the trio yet. but she did stop at Aspohodel's sudden silence and quirked her brows.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:59 am

Asphodel listened to Alicia's plans. The human sounded like she knew what she was talking about and the hobbit had no reason to doubt it. "I can make pottery out of clay," she said. "My father is a spice monger, we sold herbs, spices, and teas for flavoring and for health. My mother was gifted at making food crafts. Her baked bread and her preserves always won prizes at the fair."

Asphodel watched the trio, "look," she said.

Balin decided to approach first, he felt that perhaps his brother's abruptness and the girl's bold tongue may not be best. He approached cautiously with his hands up in peace, "Ah evening, lassies," he said. "We don't mean to startle or intrude."
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:08 am

Alicia nodded along listening politely to Asphodel's talking. She seemed like such a nice and sweet lady. It was a relief to hear that she wasn't completely helpless. Alicia didn't really like to cook and only did it because she had to eat, so it was great to be with a partner who did like to cook.

Alicia turned around, purple eyes falling upon a new trio approaching. That's interesting. She thought as she stood, feet shoulder length apart with a bamboo staff in her hand, at ease for now. She quirked bemusedly at the oldest one, posing this demeanor of peace. "Hello!" She greeted, they were getting a little too close so she stepped forth about four paces to meet them half way. "What's going on?" She asked them straightforward.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:14 am

Brenna side glanced at Balin, frowning in disapproval at him doing the talking. " Oi." she grumped at his side. Brenna saw the human approach, and read what she was trying to insinuate there. Brenna stopped too, holding her harpoon at the ready in case something should happen.

Dwalin resisted rolling his eyes. " You'll be hard pressed to find a diplomat better than my brother. Let him speak."
Brenna scoffed. "Do not think to order me around dwarf." She hissed at him.
Dwalin glowered down at her, biting his tongue for the most part and crossing his arms.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:03 pm

Balin smiled warmly at the lass, he presented the impression of a jolly old man and this tended to get people to trust him. "Ah don't be alarmed, Lassie," he said. "We mean ye no harm, you see we found ourselves on this strange little beach and my brother here spotted you and thought perhaps we could be of service. I'm Balin, this is Dwalin and our charming companion here is Brenna."

Asphodel stayed behind Alicia, looking at the newcomers warily.
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:21 pm

Alicia subtly smirked, amused at this guy. He looked as if he didn't have a care in the world, which to Alicia, retired folk ought to be like that. Baaaaleeeen... Alicia chortled in her head as her eyes looked over at Dwalin, a rather grumpy sort of guy, but obviously quite capable. And another shorter, 'charming lady' looking just as put off, Brenna.
Alicia flashed a toothy grin at them. " Pleasure to meetchu' all. I'm Alicia. My own companion is Asphodel." She wasn't sure whether to be inviting them to her camp or not, but it might be a risk she'd have to take. 'Remember, three inches deep makes for mortal wounds.' Alica grinned to her inner thoughts. " If you truly mean no harm as you say, You're welcome to join us. We have, shark to share. You wouldn't happen to have matches, an eye glass or tinder box?" Alicia waved towards her camp with a subtle amused look at the newcomers.

Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:25 pm

Brenna cocked her head sideways. Hmph, at least the old bloke did know his way around his words. Brenna marched up, glancing at Alicia with the same once over as before. She stopped before the hut, not wanting to admit she was a little impressed by it. She looked over and saw this other lady. She had thick pointed ears and a rather timid demeanor as she weaved the last of some leaves onto the hut. Brenna frowned at her as she wondered why this lady seemed so bashful. Might be the unusually thick hair on her large feet.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Balin glanced at the shark and the little hobbit, "ah thank you for your generous offer, Lass," he said to Alicia and he and Dwalin happily made themselves at home (like they did at Bag End).

Asphodel looked up as they all approached. "You can try some of this shark fish if you'd like," she said timidly, "I've never seen such a creature before but it really is quite good. Are... you dwarves?" She looked at Brenna. She wasn't quite sure if she was the same race as the two dwarves. But she was fairly certain these were dwarves, although she'd only seen one or two in Bree before.
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:31 pm

Alicia watched them enter her camp ground. The men made themselves too comfortable too fast. It made Alicia a little suspicious. Funny short men. She thought in her head. She hid her devious smirk. She'll be on high alert around these guys. She walked behind Brenna as the new lady sat by her friends. " Hey you two. We have birds to clean and crabs to cook." She said to them.
Alicia silently walked behind them, eyes checking every detail she could make out.
Dwalin glanced up at Asphodel. " Aye little hobbit. We are dwarves. Brenna though...not sure."
"I'm a gnome thank you very much!" Brenna quipped.
Alicia blinked. Dwarves and gnomes? Well, she supposed they did fit the general description. Dwalin looked like he was the brawn behind the heist. Brenna the leader and Balin the bait or distractor. What was the best way to take down a dwarf should one attack anyway? Alicia couldn't think of much other than fastening some bolas to wrap around their feet when thrown. It wasn't going to stop them maybe but it would slow them down for a good long while. And Brenna with that Harpoon...
"Brother. Got yer eye glass on ya?" Dwalin took Balin's monocle he used, passing it to Alicia. The woman smiled. " Thank you." She said and used the concentrated sunlight on dry fibers to get it to smoke and then eventually a fire. Alicia passed it back to Dwalin, and put the fire into Asphodel's pit she had made.
Brenna watched them with her own keen eyes. " How did the two of you get here?"
"I was getting ready to go meet some friends for a holiday trip, then suddenly I felt like I was falling backwards and next thing I'm on this beach. You?" Alicia asked.
Brenna replied with her own story of what transpired. She glared at the dwarves. "Hey. The meats going to go bad if you don't help prep them. Dolts." She turned her hard stare onto Asphodel next. " and You? You're not a human, dwarf or gnome. Are you a short elf then?"
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:27 pm

Balin handed over his eyeglass and then scurried to follow Brenna's instructions. "Tell me, lass, what land do you call home?" he asked. "Are they all so bold where you come from?"

Asphodel looked at Brenna as well, "I'm a hobbit from the Shire. I was simply sleeping in my bed and then woke up on this beach. I'm still in my night clothes."
Balin listened to the stories and he told theirs, "I hope the king and the rest of the company are alright," he said, looking at Dwalin. "The battle was fierce. You were up there with them on Raven hill..."

Balin looked the little hobbit over and thought of Bilbo. Balin wasn't very good at telling age but the girl looked to be perhaps around young Kili's, perhaps younger. Definitely much younger than their burglar. And this human, "and you lass?" he asked Alicia, "what land do you call home?"
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:12 am

Brenna started on the crabs as she answered the inquiries. " I am from the arctic tundra of Forodwaith. The women are so bold because it is a matriarch government. The women go whaling and herding while the men do the cooking and tending to the children." Brenna then peered over at Asphodel. " Hmm. A hobbit eh? I've read about your people in old books. You are peaceful, quite folk who like ignoring the world and being ignored by it. You seem the meek type so I doubt you go by the same government as I. First time I've ever seen a real hobbit before. And a human for that matter."

Dwalin's shoulders slumped a little at the mention of the battle. " Aye. As do I. I can only pray to Mahal that Fili survived. The last time I saw him, Azog had him dangling over an edge. Might have stabbed him before dropping him." Dwalin muttered. " Kili and Thorin were safe from his grasp though...at the time."

While they were speaking, Alicia was listening in on everything, stowing away information to analyze later. Now she was no judge at court, but that didn't mean she couldn't try. So, Brenna liked to be the boss because that's how she was raised to be. The brothers were obviously warriors trying to defend their home or answering and ally's call. They were still in their battle gear which Alicia pursed her lips at. And Asphodel was the more sweet and quiet type. The brothers seemed willing to abide by Brenna's wishes and Alicia wondered if it was because they owe her something, she hired them, or maybe she'd earned their respect as a fellow 'brother in arms'? If Brenna decided to turn on her and Asphodel would they back her up? Alicia and her friend would be in trouble if they did. The woman didn't like that. She'll be thinking on how to even the odds while they were here. Oh the 'grandfather' asked a question. Alicia almost missed it. "Zephyr Island." Alicia answered evenly. " Or Isoba island some people call it. First time I've ever seen anyone that wasn't a human too." She glanced at his armor again. "Wearing your metal gear on the coat for long periods of time would be unwise for it's maintenance. The water and salt will start to ruin it."
Alicia turned her attention back to the coconut trees. She really reeeaaally wanted those fruits! The only way she'd get them now was to climb the narrow tree. Some of them at least leaned outwards before curving back up, but she sill needed to mind her balance. It would be such an awesome reward! Yup, We're having coconuts. she thought to herself as she took out her knife.

Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:27 am

Asphodel nodded, "yes we are peaceful folk, we rarely go beyond the borders of the Shire. I have been to Bree once. But you see... I have always wanted to see the world. This isn't exactly how I imagined it. But... if I do return to the shire, I doubt I will ever leave it again, you see, I am promised to someone... you come from the world where the woman rules society but in the Shire, it is quite the opposite. Girls stay close to home and have little choices in their lives."

Balin listened to the hobbit and the gnome talk about their societies. Of course few of them would know anything about dwarf society since they did not approve of sharing their culture with outsiders, but dwarves had an equal view of the genders, and while dwarrowdams were rare and thus highly prized, they had few restrictions in life. He glanced at Dwalin, listening to his account of Raven hill, wincing when he heard Fili had been caught by Azog. He could only hope the blonde prince was alright.

"Well then," he said. "Let's say we get some shut eye? I think tomorrow we should leave the shores and venture north. We may find more people or we may find other resources."
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Alicia frowned at the mention of Aspohdels lifestyle. Alicia would run away if she had to live like that. At the mention of sleep, she looked over at the guy. It was big enough for all of them, if not a little crowded. She wasn't sure how comfortable she'd be. Shed at least give it a try though.
Brennan stood up. " yes sleep sounds good. I don't think I like they way you hobbits run things. Women have voices too. Most of the time they are more reasonable then the men's!" Brennan turned on her heel and went into the hut, finding her own spot to lay down for the night. She found the night to be a nice reminder of her cold home. But the days just seemed a little too hot than what she was accustomed to.
Dwalin shrugged, the food wasn't too bad, given the circumstances, not that he had very high taste. Dwalin too, decided to turn in for the eve. He looked at the hut. Not bad for a shelter, and he turned in. Alicia was not tired enough to turn in. So many thoughts in her head. Was somebody playing a fame with them? Was she really the only human here?
Alicia gave them a small nod..not sure how she felt about someone just walking in on her home. A hut maybe but she built it with her own hands and Aspohdels. They could have at least have the guts to ask first. No matter, Alicia felt an odd giddiness, or excitement about this, despite the very confusing situation. Alicia had to mentally reel herself in. This was not a game after all. Alicia decided to spend her extra energy on gathering some resources. Silently she excused herself and started slowly and carefully getting up the nearest tree. It wasn't so hard so long as she slithered up it slowly. Finally she made it to the top, chopping at the nearest coconuts. Not much more could be seen at this vantage point the is to the forest, but still it was nice. This whole process was about two hours becuase she took her time making sure to be more careful going down. She still want sure about sleeping in the hut with so many people, even now, but she'd at least try.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:49 pm

Asphodel lay down in the hut in between Brenna and Balin. It took her a long time to fall asleep, she had so much on her mind. She kept thinking about what Brenna said. Brenna didn't approve of a hobbit way of life, and sometimes, Asphodel wondered if she did either. Brenna's account of sailing the high seas, herding animals, a life of adventure sounded magical. At the same time, Asphodel had mixed feelings about Hobbit life. In truth, she was proud of being a hobbit. She was a sort of contradiction in many ways. The sight of seedlings springing from the ground, or lambs taking their first steps, or the taste of freshly harvested bread, working out in the fields from sun up till sun down and then tasting the fruit of your labor, it was something she had deep feelings for. It was who she was. But at the same time, she had an insatiable thirst for knowledge and adventure. She wanted to know the world, she wanted excitement.

And what of a woman's place in the shire? So gnomes and hobbits were opposite in society. Asphodel wondered if human, elf, and dwarf societies had similar ideas in which either men would be in charge or women would. Or perhaps they both were? Asphodel thought of Roy. She really didn't want to marry him, her bones still ached from the last beating he'd given her. But she was promised to him and she had little say in the matter. Until now. THis new place, this new world, maybe this was her chance.

Asphodel did eventually get to sleep and the sun came up the next morning.
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:40 pm

Alicia was so proud of herself. Oooooh yes! Alicia planted her fists on her hips, careful not to get too loud, since the others were still sleeping. It was not easy sleeping with folks that snore. Alicia was lucky enough to get a few catnaps in, but not a full on night's sleep like she might have wanted. No matter, she'll catch a nap or sleep better later. Alicia walked further away from camp so that when she started beating the coconuts open the noise wouldn't bother the others. The first sip of that water brought back so many fond memories. This would provide such a good boost for everyone. When they were opened she carefully laid them in the sand where they were properly supported so that they didn't fall over. She left them there for when the others woke up to enjoy their 'cup of joe.'
Alicia still set about, trying to fin ways of making makeshift tools that might help them. For instance, she didn't know a way of boiling fresh water in the bamboo sups or coconut shells would work so well, and she doubted the other except maybe Brenna had the guts to eat fish eyeballs.
When she got back from her projects she saw Brenna was up already. "And where have you been?" she asked accusingly.
"Scavenging. and providing." Alicia said gesturing to everything she had done. " You're welcome." Alicia said to Brenna's suspicious accusations.
Brenna gingerly tasted the water, seemingly approving it and looked at the fire. " What's for breakfast?"
"Whatever you can find really." Alicia answered idly. " We still have some shark, your birds too."
"We ought to wake one of the dwarves to get it started."
Alicia looked at her curiously. "You know, the governments we are used to don't apply to this land. Everyone ought to pull even weight around here. Not just one gender stuck to one job."
Brenna snorted. " Sounds lawless."
"It's not lawless, its a superiority preventative. A different kind of law." Alicia said just as firm as Brenna.
The gnome leaned back to peer up at the human for a long time before finally taking her eyes away. " Hmm. Think Miss Asphodel can handle that?"
"If given the chance yes. I have every confidence in her that she can handle anything too." The human replied. " Your friends want to go north from here. Down the coast a way is a river that empties out into the sea. We ought to follow the river inland."
Brenna nodded in agreement to that.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:58 pm

Dwalin snorted awake. He blinked and rubbed the sleep from his eyes. The warrior looked over to see that the human was just outside stoking the fire, He could see her as he peeked through holes in the leaves. Too early so he laid back down to get a light sleep. When he woke up next, it was to the voices of the human and the gnomes chattering. Dwalin came out in time to hear them mention a river.
"Good morning." Alicia greeted with a happy smile similar to the young princes. Dwalin merely grunted in response, scratching at his ribs. The warrior looked over at his sleeping brother next to the hobbit lass. They looked so peaceful. Ever since Balin's hair was completely white, he had wished his brother would take a lighter load, maybe not fully retire, but make some time to, just enjoy life and relax more. Dwalin did his best never to disturb his brother's rest or interrupt his free time. The younger dwarf turned back to the other woman where he did a few stretches to warm up his body. He also felt a little sorry for Asphodel too. She seemed as if, she was so timid because she was trained to be. Poor lass. Brenna seemed to be handling things rather well too at least.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:17 pm

Asphodel dreamt about Roy and groaned softly in her sleep. "No..." she groaned as he hit her over and over in her dreams. "Please... stop! I'm sorry-" she startled herself awake and gasped, sitting up straight. She wasn't in the shire and Roy wasn't here. She took a moment to regain herself before remembering. She was on a deserted beach with two dwarves, a gnome, and a human. She got up and saw the others and walked over to them. "Good morning," she said.

Balin was the last to wake up. He didn't move as fast as he once did in his youth, but that was the trouble with getting old, perhaps. He got up and joined the others, "Shall we move on soon?" he asked.
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:43 pm

Alicia had a small smile, she stood up, gesturing she was ready to go. "Ready when y'all are."
Brenna shouldered her harpoon. "We'll follow the river inwards north." Brennan commanded,. Alicia hid her frown. She smiled at the others, turning on her heels to stride where she had found the river. The river was flowing but still seemed a peaceful pace. Inside they ventured. Alicia had the longest drive but tried not to look like she was showing off. Especially the way Brennan kept grumbling about it, swatting at the brush and sticks that were in her face. Alicia smiled in bemusement.
Dwalin merely grunted or grimaced at it all. Alicia looked back to Aspohdel to see how she was faring until she heard dwalin gasp and pull out his weapon. "To arms." He grunted. Alicia whirled around to face the enemy only to gasp in delight more than fright. "Wait. That's a giraffe. They're not dangerous." Alicia stepped out into the clearance, smiling at the creatures as they noticed her, chewing or leaning their heads down curiously.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:25 pm

Asphodel gasped at the spotted creature with the long neck. "Giraffe..." she repeated Alicia's words. What other wonders might they see in this world?

Balin, like any dwarf, was wondering if how this giraffe would taste in a stew. Of course, he kept that thought to himself.
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:58 pm

Alicia smiled brightly at the giraffe, reaching her hand up as she stepped it's soft fur and face. "So cool." She breathed. The giraffe batted it's large eyelashes, sniffing and watching her and her friends.
Brenna gaped at it. " I have never seen scuba creature, like, some kind of new cow?"
Dwalin shrugged his shoulders, slowly putting up his hammer. " So long as it is not a threat."
Alicia loved the giraffe and it's here, and couldn't stop smiling at it. She invited Asphidel to come and see him as they ventured through the small herd. Two babies were playing, running about around the adults and near the traveling company.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adeleidhis on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:10 pm

Alicia watched them, she thought they were beautiful creatures, but probably didn't want to voice it with this rough and tough group she was traveling with. She hoped she'd get to see them again and play with them. Alicia did smile when she looked at the companions. " never seen them before? They are generally a peaceful animal. "
"Theyrr different. Not bad." Brenna said.
Dwalin watched the herd with mild interest. " are they any good for eating?"
"I don't think skinless you're a potcher." Alicia said wryly. She felt a little down that the others didn't seem as fun loving as her, but Alicia chose to have grace with them and let it slide.
Adeleidhis
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truthful Nomad on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:14 pm

Asphodel smiled and reached out to touch of the smaller ones. "They are beautiful," she said.

Balin let out a chuckle, his brother didn't quite have much of a filter and leave it to him to say what Balin himself had been thinking.
Truthful Nomad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum